Monday, August 24, 2009

How much time do you spend online?

I took a good hard look at the way I've been spending my time during my super awesome "me time" at night and guess what? I spend A LOT of it online. Way too much. Some of it's well worth it, like blogging and connecting with other writers, researching agents, all that good stuff. The rest, no so much.

For one thing I check my inbox too much. Think of the amount of time that eats up? Especially considering the fact that I have double email accounts. My old one, and a newer one for queries and all that sort of shiny professional stuff. I'm seriously considering forcing myself to check them only twice a day. It's way too easy to check them here and there throughout the day since I'm pretty much a stay at home (does working 3 hours a week some weeks count as part time even?) It's way easier to whip out my laptop and check email and blogs then open whatever book I'm reading and risk having my son call me to come play, which as you can guess happens often. When I read I like to immerse myself in the story so three minutes here and there doesn't cut it. Oh, but I sure can get on the computer.

I'm curious, how much time do you spend online? Is it worth while or just what you'd consider distractions? Are you like me and could have written another whole book with the time you've spent? A fact I'm not so pleased to share. Hey, but at least I'm changing that by getting into my new WIP and I'm well aware of my issue. The good thing is that I work well under pressure. Not that I have that right now. I'm just saying...

6 comments:

Windy said...

The first step is admitting you have a problem. I also have a problem. And yes, I probably could have done loads more writing with all of my lollygagging time online, but alas... if you find a cure, please share!
OK.. so yeah, I'm totally getting offline right now. I swear. Right now.

Mim said...

I also spend too much time online. It helps when I turn my computer off instead of putting it to sleep. That signals that it is not computer/Internet time.

I'm hoping with a more structured schedule, two kids in school and just one at home full time, that things will go more smoothly for me. I'll have to get up early and work around the schedule. I'm better at managing my time when I'm forced to.

Cindy R. Wilson said...

I spend more than I should, admittedly. However, I'm focusing more now on using that time effectively. I make sure I post on my blog the same days each week. I also make sure that even if I have a good portion of the day where I CAN be online, I still infuse it with numerous trips up and away from the screen to do various tasks around the house. One thing I'm really bad about, though, is checking my in boxes (both e-mail address, just like you) and I also keep Blogger up a lot when I'm working. I've made a bad habit of checking it every so often and sometimes I have to force myself to close it down and not reopen it :D

Anonymous said...

Umm yeah. I spend a lot of time online, way too much in fact!

I really try to cut back, and I actually sometimes forget to check my special agent email once a day! It's crazy because I used to do it all the time!

I try to balance things--check submissions with FMM, do blogs, make and schedule interviews, check on short stories, then write and edit. Needless to say it doesn't always go that way! Plus when I get on IM's it's fun! Plus Twitter totally sucks me in!

kah said...

I spend a lot of time online, but I wish I had more time to spend here. I feel like I cant keep up with all the blogging, emails, book reviews, causes etc. There is so much great info and great people out there but my day job takes up too much time. Can I just win the lotto so I can sit at home and write and blog all day? (pretty please)

lisa and laura said...

Oh yeah, didn't even need to read your post to answer this one: WAY TOO MUCH. Seriously. I'm definitely going to need a support group to detach from my computer. I'm just not ready yet...maybe tomorrow? Yeah, I'll definitely quit tomorrow.