Thursday, July 30, 2009

Blog chain: How much prewriting do you do?

*Be sure to stop by and check out a post from my sister who is guest blogging while I'm away this weekend. I have no clue what she's going to say but I trust her and know she'll do an amazing job. Hmm, I just hope she doesn't share any embarassing details from my past!

I'm wrapping things up with this week's blog chain started by Lin at flames and shadows where she asks how much prewriting we do before we actually start writing.

Considering I've only completed one novel I don't have much experience to go on but from that time along with the handful of other stories I've started since that fateful day almost a year ago, I have to be honest and say that I do very little if any preplanning. I just start writing. Of course I have some sort of idea in mind before I put my fingers to the keyboard. But they're pretty rough and abstract to begin with and take shape as I go. As I go I do make notes when ideas come to me and with my follow up to SAGE I created an mini synopsis first but of course that changed a few times and I've only written a few chapters so you can see how that's working.

The nice thing is that since thinking about Lin's great question I've started to think about prewriting a little more with my current WIP. I figure the worst that can happen is that I find it doesn't work for me so I can just stop and go back to my crazy unplanned random writing that's been working pretty darn well. Still there's something appealing about being more organized and prepared this time around but we'll just have to wait and see which side wins out.

Swing by and see what the other blog chainers had to say this week.
Monday: Flames and Shadows
Tuesday: Girl With a Notebook
Wednesday: From Elysium
Thursday: Somewhere Nowhere In My Kingdom
Friday: here

And for next weeks schedule - here you are ladies.
Monday: From Elysium
Tuesday: Flames and Shadows
Wednesday: Sometimes Nonsense (me!)
Thursday: Girl With a Notebook
Friday: Somewhere Nowhere In My Kingdom

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hm. I've tried to go organic and write without an outline or anything, but I just can't do it. I always end up caving and writing an outline or basic plan.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I started writing Jacks freely, but as it got longer I made a chapter outline. What did I need to happen in that one, how was it leading to the next, etc. It helped tremendously and I plan to do it from here on out. I am a Virgo, I'm supposed to be naturally organized and normally I am but not for novel one! haha!

AND YOU HAVE A HUSH HUSH COUNTER! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Have fun this weekend!