Monday, May 11, 2009

"Me" Day?

With Mother's Day still on the brain, I got to thinking if I had a day to do whatever I wanted, what would I do? I mean an entire day with no obligations, no kids to watch, no appointments, no work - 100% nothing. Just a full day to do what I pleased.

What I'm going to say has nothing to do with the fact that my blog is based on writing. This is genuinely what I would do given a day to myself.

Sleep in.
Check email and blogs.
Eat breakfast.
Take a long hot shower.
Get dressed.
Write.
Go to the bookstore and look at YA books for hours.
Eat lunch.
Read.
Write.
Nap.
Write.
Check email and blogs.
Eat dinner.
Drink a green apple martini.
Write.
Read.

*Note - Very loud music would be played at several stages through out the day since I try avoid blaring rock or hip hop music with my 19 month old around.

Forget shopping, manicures or lunch with friends. I would die to have a full day morning to night to just relax with peace and quiet and write, read and play online. Wait, that's what I do almost every night! Too bad I usually don't get nearly as much done as I could. It's the whole trying to fit everything into those few precious night hours. Not to mention being tired after a full day of chasing a toddler. The irony is that before I got pregnant and moved back to my hometown I had free days all the time. My husband worked a lot of weekends so I had every Saturday and Sunday to do as I pleased. No kids, no family obligations. Too bad I wasn't a writer yet! Like most things in life I had no clue how valuable those days were back then.

Oh and I'm all for creating a Writer's Day. Anyone else in? We'd be obligated to tell our loved ones to buzz off and let us write in peace all day.

Now let me ask you. What would you do with one entire day to yourself?

4 comments:

~Jamie said...

Oh for me it's ALL about the hanging out and doing nothing... I can fit all that other stuff in with my family, and besides all that other stuff I can do with kiddos! So I am in for your day!

lisa and laura said...

Ooh, count me in for writer's day! Sounds fabulous.

XiXi said...

That sounds amazing. The one thing I'd change for myself is: get up early. Because I sleep in late all the time (oh, the life of a college student), and I could get so much more done if I didn't stay up super late and stay knocked out until 1 or 2 pm.

This is if I could manage to do this. Like, if someone physically came into my room and shook me awake at 8 or 9 and watched me until I got dressed and ate breakfast. Otherwise, it would never happen.

kimberly said...

Oh, what a great post, Rebecca! On a day all to myself....hmmm. It is almost incomprehensible! (is that a word, and did I spell it right?) I would sleep late -- maybe through the whole night without having to wake up an nurse a baby or take a 3 year old to the potty... I would get up, take a long bath (maybe have the martini that you speak of in the tub with me!). I am with you on the "alone" time. I would want to be alone. I would go shopping -- but it would be for ME!
Thanks for allowing me to DREAM!