Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Blog Chain: What Kind of Writer Are You?

The blog chain this week kicked off at Somewhere Nowhere In My Kingdom with a fabulous question...

What kind of writer are you?

This is super easy for me to answer because I am 1000% focused on one genre. Young Adult. My only completed novel is an Urban Fantasy. I'm guessing this will be mostly what I stick with. But I do have a few other WIPs started that are straight up fiction. Of course they're all within the YA range.

Here I am a 30-yr-old, stay at home mom and all I care to read is teen fantasy. And proud of it! I'm just drawn to the depth and excitement they provide. It's no surprise then that this is what I'm called to write. I especially love stories where the fantasy is below the surface, when the love story, action and mystery take precedence over the surreal parts. They feel SO real to me. Love that! I just hope I can achieve that in my writing...

To branch out a little more on this topic - I'm a speedy, straight from the heart, chaotic writer. With the sequel I'm working on now I have sections written out that jump from the beginning, to the end, to the middle, back to the beginning, etc. I write what I feel when I feel it. I let my characters tell me what they want and I just write. There are literally chapters of my book that I have almost no memory of writing because I was that focused. If only I could do that every time!

I'm not afraid to take risks and write something even if it seems crazy. I'm not afraid to cut chapters. I'm not afraid to write steamy love scenes. I'm not afraid to take peoples advice on improving my work, even when it means major revisions. Most importantly, I'm not afraid to put myself out there with my work, my heart or my opinion.

Stop by and check out what the other ladies had to say about this.
Monday: Somewhere Nowhere In My Kingdom
Tuesday: Girl With A Notebook
Thursday: From Elysium
Friday: Lin Wang - Teen Writer

4 comments:

Cindy R. Wilson said...

I am a straight through kind of writer. On occasion I'll write scenes that happen in the middle or end of the book if I am working on a different project and I new idea just jumps out at me. Otherwise, I will start at the beginning and write through to the end.

As far as genre, that's where I'm a little less predictable. I like contemporary most of all. Usually with some suspense and romance. I have written YA before and would again, I enjoyed it. I am also considering a fantasy series at some point in the future.

Unknown said...

MG and YA are flexible for me--but it's gotta have some sort of fantastical element to it.

XiXi said...

Hey, YA and children have some really good stuff! And it just moves along so quickly, gets to the point, and gets to the action! Love it, love it.

YA is the best category, for reading and writing. :-)

Anonymous said...

My favourite YA writer is Holly Black!! Her faerie books are just awesome. I read "Valiant" and "Tithe". I think there's another book?? Yeah. The covers are just amazing on each book. XD