Monday, February 1, 2010

The reading binge continues...

My reading has been extremely slow these last few weeks. But I did manage to finish Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater and I'm almost done with Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. (on a side note, I really don't love reading nonfiction, even if I love the actual book it takes me five times the amount of time to finish)

Shiver
Love. Love. Love. This. Book. Maggie Stiefvater has an incredible whimsical quality to her writing that I adored in this story. I haven't read any of her other books (YET) but I'm willing to bet it carries through in all her writing. Her description of places, senses and emotions are magical, yet raw. That, combined with the urgency and mystery of the main plot had me totally immersed in this book. So inspiring! I passed up a nap (I was fighting a cold) a time or two to read and it was one of those times where I wanted so badly to finish but hated leaving Sam and Grace. Dying to read Linger... So if you happen to be lucky enough to have an ARC feel free to send it my way.


Bird by Bird
I've heard people talk about this book a lot so over the course of the past year I've looked for it at the bookstore and even had it in my shopping cart online, but always ended up going for one of my beloved YA fantasies instead. So I'm sort of thinking this was one of those right time, right places things. And this was the right time for me to read it. It's so refreshing to read a book that provides both writing and life advice and inspiration. While I'm all about learning to write better, I love the idea of merging it with everyday life, Because let's face it if you're a serious writer it weaves itself into just about every aspect of your life. *sigh* And I wouldn't have it any other way. Can't wait to see what other gems she has to share in the last section of the book. I would highly recommed this to any writer out there. Go buy it now!

Up next...Graceling by Kristin Cashore and Raven by Allison van Diepen.

1 comment:

Abby Annis said...

I really liked Shiver, too. Thanks for the Bird by Bird rec. I'll have to check it out. :)