Thursday, February 25, 2010

Big. Really BIG inspiration.

I'm the type of person that likes to take things to the extreme. Go big or go home! So it's no wonder that while researching for my current WIP I went with this particular home as inspiration for the family estate. You may have heard of a little place called Biltmore in Ashville in North Carolina, the largest home in America. 8,000 acres, 250 rooms, a winery...




Anyone have the pleasure of visiting this incredible estate? I'd love to hear details since I'm working only off the the picture and videos and information on their site. I took it down a few notches for the home in my story, knocked off a few rooms and lost a couple thousand acres. I really hope I get to see this place in real life someday but I have the feeling after I'm finished with this WIP I'll feel like I already have.
Have you ever gone really BIG with your inspiration?
P.S. I think I may have found my title for this WIP! Also, you can check out my hook and playlist here. Gee, ya think I'm a tad bit excited about this one?

10 comments:

Rebecca L Sutton said...

Grrr, I tried and tried to get the format fixed in this post but Blogger isn't cooperating. Sorry about the one block of text on that last part...

Mim said...

I went over ten years ago. It is absolutely gorgeous. Well worth the admission price. I do remember it being quite hot--I went in the summer. The lights at Christmas are beautiful as well. Beth Revis at Writing It Out http://bethrevis.blogspot.com/ has blogged about it a lot. I think she visits frequently.

Lacey J Edwards said...

Blogger is doing the block text on all my posts too. Grr..

That place is GORGEOUS! I've never been, but I can just imagine. Ashville it's self is a beautiful place.

Unknown said...

OMG! OHMYGOSH!!!

Yes, I've been to Biltmore! I live just a little bit away from it, have a year pass, and have it memorized so much that I've considered working there as a tour guide!!!

If you want any deets, just email me (bethrevis at gmail.com)

Elana Johnson said...

I haven't been there, but holy cow! It looks amazing!

Roxy said...

Biltmore, where have you been all my life? Probably in gorgeous North Carolina while I was rainy Oregon. Thanks for these inspiring pictures. They are beautiful!

Rebecca L Sutton said...

Oh I'm so excited Mim and Beth to hear it's as amazing it as seems. Beth!! I'm totally emailing you soon now that I know how much you hang out there. I think I actually recall you talking about going to the garden to write over the summer. (LOL that Mim commented about you and then you did)

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Oh man, this is an amazing home, I had an opportunit to go visit it years ago, and didn't take it. I sorely regret it. How cool you're using it in your ms!

By the way, I followed you from Sara McClung's blog ;)

Rebecca L Sutton said...

Thanks for following me Carolina! I love connecting with fellow YA writers (any writers actually!). I became a follower of your blog as well and can't wait to check it out.

It's a bummer that you didn't get to check Biltmore out. I hope I get there someday!

Nayuleska said...

I want to go there! That's a gorgeous setting.

Yay for finding a title! It's amazing when you get the 'right' one. (which is liable to change before publication)