Thursday, April 22, 2010

Great Expectations

As a writer I've learned how crucial it is to start my book with a bang. Heck, even the first line needs to be kick-ass. But the odd thing is that very few books I've read achieve that. Hello, Twilight....love the book overall but the first chapter is a total snore. But the book I started last night, SISTERS RED by Jackson Pearce, is one of the best examples I've ever seen. WOW. I'm only on page 40 something but I cannot wait to read more to see if it can maintain the awesomeness it started with (I'm pretty sure it will after what I've heard about it so far). And this is the very thing I'm working on in my current WIP. Yet again the right book has fallen in my lap at just right the time....

Here's a summary of SISTERS RED from Jackson Pearce's site.


Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.

Twenty-five-year-old Jackson Pearce delivers a dark, taut fairy tale with heart-pounding action, fierce sisterly love, and a romance that will leave readers breathless.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Nice summary on the book...intriguing without giving to much away. Great point on the opening line bit. I can't say that it turns me away from a book if it's not stellar (I go for the overall story versus the first hook), but it definitely helps draw a reluctant reader in from the moment they open the book.

Imola said...

The title, 'Great Expectation', could not have been chosen more wisely! Eventually, the first line creates expectations, great or meek. Form my viewpoint, what matters is the rest - one can end up like Pip (not an all that pleasant perspective...), or one may be surprised by the rest of the book (and all readers love surprises!). Yet, GMR is right in pointing out that the beginning is the most important in attracting hesitant reader, the ending, equally, I might add. Let's face it, when the author is unknown (to one), one reads the first and last paragraph. Get that right, and you got it made!
Best of luck!

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

I'm sure more than half of my all time favorite reads do not have a kick ass opening. It's kind of funny because everyone says your opening is what should always grab the reader. But you are so right with Sisters Red. That opening was perfect! I'm already loving this one much more than Pearce's first novel, As You Wish.

Yamile said...

I fell in love with The Shadow of the Wind and its companion novel Angel's Game, both by genius Carlos Ruiz Zafon, on the very first page. I swear I could see magic tentacles trapping my attention until I finished those books.
Also The Book Thief, by Markus Zuzak. Such a splendid example of grabbing the readers attention. I think about these books daily.

Nishant said...

Nice summary on the book.
indian classified site