Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Finding time to write. How do you do it?

For some reason I've struggled way more with my writing time with the new story. I thought it would get better with summer ending with it getting darker earlier, the pool getting covered, my child heading to bed earlier (hopefully). Sadly, this has not been the case. It seems like there is always something going on. Ugh. I don't want to push people away and become a recluse or force my child to go to bed way early just so I can write, but some days it's a little tempting...

So I'm curious, how do you handle it? Do you always write at a certain time? How do you make time to write when life gets hectic? Do you set a timeline to finish?

9 comments:

Karilynnlove said...

My life is always hectic right now! I'm in school so usually I'm studying 24/7! I usually use my study break time to write! The people around think I'm still studying so I don't get many interruptions!

Abby Annis said...

When my kids are in school, I'm usually fortunate to have at least one full day a week to write. Otherwise, I write at night after everyone's gone to bed. Life is always crazy when you have kids! :)

Windy said...

I once heard the phrase "You don't make time to write, you take time to write" and it has really stuck with me. I've got a pretty crazy schedule too, with a preschooler, a toddler, a day job, and the rest of life... So I usually write after everyone's gone to bed and the house is quiet.

On the flip side, every couple of weeks I make a deal with the husband that he takes the kids for a few hours and I hide out at the local library or coffee shop and write. Knowing I have uninterrupted daylight hours, I usually can crank out a few thousand words.

Good luck!

Natalie said...

I always try to set goals and times to write but it never works out. I just write when I can and usually it's enough.

~Jamie said...

Find someone to write with. Sit across the table from them headphones in and just write... it works! Promise!

Susan R. Mills said...

I write mostly at night, but I stay up way too late. I'm rethinking this writing time for that very reason. The days are just so darn busy, though. I don't know what the answer is.

XiXi said...

Ha ha ha. I push aside other obligations in life. Like homework or sleep. Because I know I'll do homework eventually (because it's graded), but I don't know that I'll write eventually. I guess you just make time. This is such a bad answer.

XiXi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Easy! I bring a notebook to school and write when my professors start to drone :-P